Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Some great summer reading


As of recently I've been reading a most inspiring book, I don't know why I didn't read more of it before. While I had the book in my possession in march, I never really got around to really dwell into its pages to find out what the author actually had to say. Now that school is out, I've returned to one of my favorite past times, curling up with a good book in bed.

The book in question is titled Full Frontal Feminism, written by a most amazing and opinionated author, Jessica Valenti takes the reader into the very heart and soul of the many issues surrounding feminism and what society has made it out to be. From dissecting what is actually happening concerning a women's reproduction rights to telling her fellow women out there that your entire life does not revolve around getting married and having babies, the book goes on to discuss some of the atypical stereotypes of what many people perceive "feminism" to be. I've always been a big fan of breaking stereotypes and proving the world wrong of what it "perceived" a person is and should be, so here's to breaking that mold and telling the world just how cool feminism really is.

Valenti's very first chapter is titled "Your a hardcore feminist. I swear" while I knew I agreed with many of the issues discussed within her book, I wouldn't have classified myself as hardcore. But as I went on to read and learn more about the many issues surrounding what feminism is truly about, I came to understand that yes I am a hardcore feminist, and I'm damn proud of it.

She also has a blog at www.feministing.com

1 comment:

  1. welcome to the dark side! =D Remember book trade off when youre done. I can't say that the book I got was as interesting though. The content is sympathetic but the writing style is just bland! =D YAY feminism!

    ReplyDelete